Chérie Picks: Best Albums of 2019

December 17, 2019

Related image

This was the first time I looked back at a year's worth of streaming history and realized how much of 2019 was steeped in cyclical listening. According to Spotify's year-end summary, I discovered 200+ artists but had a significant drop in actual playback time. It's made me curious to know the endless factors that determine what changes a person's music streaming habits on a yearly basis. School/job transitions, concert preparations, mood specifics, life-altering experiences... Music is so intricately laced into every aspect of our lives if we allow it to be.

Brushing aside this over-analytical take, without further ado I present to you all my favorite albums of 2019.






Image result for iu love poem
Love Poem by IU
Top Track: the visitor

If my track-by-track review was any indication, this was most definitely the greatest gift I could've received this year. Albeit the shortest on the list, the six songs on Love Poem tote a perfect collection of emotions and musical experimentation.


Related image
Purpose by Taeyeon
Top Track: Better Babe

How generous of an artist must you be to release a full album, a Japanese EP, 3 singles and a Frozen OST. The more of her own writing that goes into her albums as time progresses the better she gets. Entering her early 30s was a godsend in delivering more sultry vocals, bossa nova instrumentals, and so much more to offer with no breaks in sight. Whereas her previous record Voice encased tracks that highlighted individual points of her personal style, Purpose holds its own as one cohesive powerful stand as a mature woman and not just the leader of Girls' Generation.


Image result for tinashe songs for you
Songs For You by Tinashe
Top Track: Perfect Crime

Independence looks so good on you, Tinashe. A no-skip album that can sit right behind Nightride you can tell sincerely was a joy for the songstress to produce. Despite already being her loyal doormat, this really exceeded my expectations and I'm already looking forward to what's in store for future releases.


Image result for iii banks
III by BANKS
Top Track: Hawaiian Mazes

Reached my fangirl peak finally experiencing Jillian's insane performance prowess live and literally in my face twice this year. She's been embedding her soul into this since The Altar and it's so raw and mesmerizing when she croons to either an almost entirely isolated piano or these otherworldly drumbeats.


Related image
When I Get Home by Solange
Top Track: Almeda

Solange continues to bring the beauty of what art films do for cinema to the music industry. Her music is intelligent and atmospheric, keying into her own culture and identity while pulling you into a dream. Her growth and prosperity since her early 00s sound are priceless.


Image result for re_vive brown eyed girls
RE_vive by Brown Eyed Girls
Top Track: A Common Love Story

Legends returned and no one expected their comeback to be a cover album, but with all the reworks and charm each member of BEG brings, who could possibly complain. The music video for Wonder Woman with the wedding gender role reversal and Jack The Ripper concept floored me too.


Image result for rouge yuna
Rouge by Yuna
Top Track: (Not) The Love of My Life

Can I say this queen is underappreciated? Her voice is effortlessly impeccable and her R&B style entices fans of any genre. With features like Usher and Tyler the Creator it shocks me that she isn't topping charts everywhere. An international treasure.


Image result for magdalene fka twigs
Magdalene by FKA Twigs
Top Track: holy terrain

Applause for a woman who had six fibroid tumors removed, went on to get right back to pole dancing, flew all over the place recording and performing at dozens of concerts and festivals to then give us GOLD.


Image result for hidden not forgotten waa wei
Hidden, Not Forgotten by Waa Wei
Top Track: Since I Am No Longer Pretending Myself a Poet That Is Not Sentimental

Assuming she started working on this during her pregnancy, I think this might be her best album yet. Saccharine vocals lull you to sleep on fairytale acoustic tracks but pick you right back up for electro-pop picks like my favorite listed above.


Related image
Over It by Summer Walker
Top Track: I'll Kill You

I wish I would've caught onto her music earlier (have been playing her oldie CPR so much lately) because I've been eating this album up. It's sensual and reminiscent of the late 90s/early 00s R&B I grew up on.


Image result for la linda tei shi
La Linda by Tei Shi
Top Track: A Kiss Goodbye

La reina is back and here to murder me with insane transitions like that of No Juegues and collaborations with the genius Blood Orange. Some might have false assumptions about Latinx artists and their ability to evade the stereotypical sound you get on the radio once in a while, but she is so far removed and in a league of her own.



Image result for oohyo far from the madding city
Far From the Madding City by Oohyo
Top Track: TOKI TALL

K-indie pop ingenuity of the highest caliber. Her voice is hypnotic and the beats are consistently sickening. When Tennis initially released I think I was on the verge of cracking vertebrae throwing my head around during the chorus.


Related image
Sunshine Kitty by Tove Lo
Top Track: Really don't like u

The moment you put Kylie Minogue on anything you're begging me to be summoned from the depths of despair to scream about it. My go-to party princess crafts club banger excellence time and again with no brakes on.



All of the above albums are available to buy or stream on Apple, Spotify & Amazon. Let me know what your favorite albums of this year were in the comments. Happy listening! x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe