Hit Play: Best Songs of 2019 So Far

July 23, 2019

Related image

So many talented women have blessed us with new music this year and I've put myself through the grinder trying to narrow my 100+ list of favorites down to a reasonable 25 songs. Without further ado, sit back and enjoy some sweet tunes.


WE GOT by WJSN
My most played track since January is girl group pop excellence with a tinge of 80s synth-pop making for a hypnotic, tireless pick-me-up. WJSN (also known as Cosmic Girls) have consistently solid production and vocal synchronization despite having a line-up of 13 members.

NIGHT IN SEOUL by UJU

Korean indie artist uju has masterfully rejuvenated the city pop genre with her sultry voice and songs like this perfect for getting ready and in the mood to go out or summer night drives to nowhere in particular.

MOONGCH! by DAUL ft. SUMIN

Already having been a fan of Sumin's previous work, I was curious to check out her feature on this DJ's ep and was blown away. Turn up the volume for this one because you'll find yourself dancing whether you like it or not. 

BLUE by TAEYEON

What is a top songs list from me without Taeyeon on it? Similarly to last year's Something New there's an Imogen Heap influence to this b-side but rather than making an upbeat, R&B piece here she's made an emotionally-driven pop ballad you feel under the skin.

HAWAIIAN MAZES by BANKS

III overall flows beautifully and as many stand-outs as I'd selected, I keep coming back to this one. It's as dreamy as the feeling Jillian must've felt wandering the meditative space on her Hawaiian getaway that gave her inspiration for the song.

LOVE AND RUN by LEXIE LIU

Lexie's bilingual electro-pop / hip-hop sound makes her one of the dopest young artists of the decade, hands down. Her previous album 2029 is mega difficult to get a hold of but I highly recommend giving 2030 a full listen after trying out this ode to runaway romance.

DEAR. RUDE by JEA ft. CHEETAH

A powerful turn for the Brown Eyed Girls songstress birthed a feminist anthem reminiscent of lead singles her group would normally release rather than her typical vocal-driven solo ballads. The music video stars JeA as the queen mother of a pack of rabid male zombies which is disturbingly iconic.

REALER by MEGAN THEE STALLION

Speaking of powerhouses, Hot Girl Meg has become the crown jewel of 2019 with her impeccable flow and dedication to uplifting women everywhere. We have decided to stan forever.

TEMPO by LIZZO ft. MISSY ELLIOTT

Another fantastic role model and royal gem is none other than the body-positive, flute playing, diversely talented Lizzo. Her booming success this year is so well-deserved and her ability to excel across genres will only take her further down the hall of fame.

MAYBE IT'S NOT OUR FAULT by YERIN BAEK

Yerin never fails to soothe the soul and subtly incorporate psychedelic musicality within her projects in spite of her company's predominantly boxed in production style.

ALMEDA by SOLANGE
  
Solange similarly eases the heart and mind, creating a calming atmosphere especially great for those who carry stress with them everywhere. Her artistry is comparable to Blood Orange in its escape from societal expectations, indie roots, and representation of their heritage and communities. When I Get Home is certainly in the running for record of the year in my book.

AMY by YUNA ft. MASEGO

Malaysian singer-songwriter Yuna and her music both age like fine wine. As her fanbase expands, so does her discovery of self and new ways to express it. Tackling racism, colorism, Islamaphobia, sexism, and identity in an often close-minded world equate to a beautifully genuine album.

TOKI TALL by OOHYO

Finally, we get a full album from Oohyo and it's everything we could've hoped for. Tennis was my pick for a more lively track to get me bounding down the street, but Toki Tall is such an atmospheric pleasure.

TOKYO/OFF-LINE by SHIINA RINGO

As someone I dub one of the greatest artists of all time, Shiina disappointed a bit with this album. However, I must say this lead single was all I could ever need to pretend the rest never happened and carry on kissing the ground she walks on.

ALCOHOLMAN by STELLA JANG

Stella spends most of her time on OSTs for various dramas so I consider it a privilege to get an ep from her for the first time in two years. There's an effortless jazzy tone she exudes in this song specifically that has catapulted it to its place as her best in my opinion. 

EVERYTHING HE NEEDS by CARLY RAE JEPSEN

The gays rejoiced with the return of the pop queen and Julien was a strong start to this new era. I chose Everything He Needs because of the strength and confidence she embedded into what is also an Elton John-esque love song and that's just something you only get from Carly Rae. 

ROUGE by YSEULT

Thanks to her collaboration with fellow French artist Claire Laffut I was able to bless my playlist with an underrated goddess. Her upcoming album has me on the edge of my seat because I have a clear vision of it smashing the charts.

HOW YOU DOIN' by EXID

When LE said "Stop boy and let's get naked" my entire life flashed before my eyes. This may very well be their best b-side to date. If you bust your ass in the shower while bopping to this, know you aren't alone.

SAME by SOLE ft. THAMA

What spell must I cast in order to get this talented girly some recognition? Her first ep since debuting in 2017 exhibits no flaws and I pray someone is streaming aside from me.

VINE by CHOI YE GEUN

Ye Geun's vocals, piano, and strings enwrap you in a song so velvety you'll either transport to a lovers' hideaway or into the sweetest of slumbers after one listen. 



Let me know your music highlights for the first half of 2019 in the comments! xo



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe