Inspired By: Style Icons That Have Guided My Fashion Sense

August 29, 2019

Image result for cher gif


By any means, I'm no style wizard, and certainly not in the current salary range to satiate my purchase desires. My inspiration, however, is thankfully abundant. As many of you saw through my fashion in film post earlier this year, much of my wardrobe expression takes root in my favorite fictional characters. Today I've narrowed down the women in real life who've had a considerable influence on much of what I wear now or aspire to dress more like in the near future.



CHER






Cher is my #1 beauty and fashion icon. Although I've been timid about releasing my inner '70s diva glamazon to its full capacity, Cher's looks courtesy of the extraordinary Bob Mackie give just about everyone goosebumps and that's something I wanna accomplish someday. Glitter, diamonds, and sparkles galore are only the beginning; her off-duty casualwear is effortless and the perfect crossover between Elvira Hancock and Tony Montana from Scarface. If it wasn't obvious enough with the long, black hair, dangly earrings, puff-sleeved blouses, floral dresses, silver eyeshadow, and blazers... yes, I want to be Cher.

DIANA ROSS






Passed onto me from my dear mother was the idol craze, and while I have IU to fawn over, she had Diana Ross, and I'm eternally grateful for the impeccable taste. I grew up listening to her's and The Supremes' discography along with watching every film from Mahogany to The Wiz, already recognizing as a child what a true diva looked like. With a background in fashion, Diana was guaranteed to look phenomenal at every turn. Slip dresses paired with cropped fr jackets, flowy organza and chiffon gowns, elegant millinery from hats the size of the moon to those with lacy veils, and the SCARVES. It's no wonder all her children are so fabulous.

DONNA SUMMER



All hail the queen of disco who gave us luxurious furs, swishing sequins, flower crowns, and the sickest sunnies in the game. She would eat all of your nightclub and Coachella outfits guaranteed. Rest in peace goddess.  

CHRISTY TURLINGTON 



There is nothing quite like Christy in a Chanel skirt suit and I want that power. The first time I ever cut my hair short was based on hours of staring at her gorgeous bob in the '90s aka the supermodel golden years. Women in suits for the win.


RIHANNA




The modern god of style is none other than Rihanna and I will accept zero arguments on this. Before she ever launched her design collaborations or her own Fenty line, she had already established herself as a maestro both in street and red carpet styling. It helps that she looks mesmerizing in any and everything.

ROSIE HUNTINGTON-WHITELEY



The sleek, strong vibe Rosie HW has is an absolute dream. Often shopping at brands like Bottega Venetta and Tôteme has built a closet of clean lines, pantsuits tailored to perfection, modern silhouettes for tops and shoes, and numerous boss bitch shades. Also great to see someone around my height with a healthy body that's more realistic to aspire to.

AIMEE SONG



Aimee has been my blogger fave since I was only a fashion-illiterate high schooler. As her style has matured and evolved, so has mine thanks to admiring her for so many years. It's clear she has a knack for putting herself together, especially in her fashion week vlogs when she pairs items I would never even think of and emerges front row at a show looking like a page off Harper's Bazaar. Her clothing line with Revolve features a tantalizing color palette and mix&match sets that flatter every figure. (Maybe I'm biased since my Clara blouse is adorable beyond compare!)

FKA TWIGS



English singer/songwriter FKA Twigs is underrated both as a musician and a fashion icon. Her unfazed chicness stems from her eclectic art as featured n her music videos and editorials but translates well unto her day-to-day wear and evening garb (i.e. her simple but effective Met Gala looks in 2015 and 2016). 

JEANNE DAMAS



Some find Parisian style to be basic and boring, but I'd be happy looking half as lovely as Jeanne Damas in a simple tee and jeans. Her brand Rouje has a pretty array of sundresses and floral tops as well as structured denim and even a line of lipsticks for an overall effortless collection.

RINA SAWAYAMA



Closing out with the marvelous Japanese-English songstress Rina Sawayama because she's the latest of my fashion/beauty go-to's and positively radiant. Constant hair changes, colorful makeup that never tires out, and a wardrobe that teeters between ultra-femme and androgynous all while taking on fabrics stretching across the rainbow. She's everything the industry needs right now.




Who are your top fashion icons? Let me know in the comments or on Instagram! xo







You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe