Chérie Bites: What I Eat in a Day

November 09, 2019

Related image

Considering my sun sign is Taurus, I try to stray from the stereotype that I'm always thinking about food, but after several requests, I guess I'm gonna talk all about food. 

Five years ago my journey with pescetarianism began and to this day I avoid dairy + sugar 98% of the time along with restricted amounts of gluten which has improved both my skin and prior gastrointestinal strife. I've never been much of a fan of junk/processed foods so the majority of what I eat are whole foods and when dining out, my choices reflect the same ones I'd make if I was preparing food for myself at home. However, my sweet tooth is an exception and if I see macarons, I'm eating them. 

This in no way is me trying to push my habits unto others, please do eat within your health and financial means whatever they may be. Aside from occasional fish and seafood, my diet is predominantly vegan but this might not be an option for everyone. I respect everyone's choices!

An overview of what I'd typically consume for each portion of the day isn't an exact science, but I would be open to sharing recipes in the future. Bon appetit!


BREAKFAST/BRUNCH

Mornings are not my strong suit. The most I'll have before noon is a mug of sencha green tea or matcha whisked into either oat, coconut, or almond milk due to my stomach being sensitive to queasiness in the earlier portion of the day. 

My first meal is either some variation of toast, smoothie bowl, or a big salad if I'm miraculously in the mood for a bowl of greens. Toasts can be savory or sweet and a few favored combinations of mine include: avocado + chili lime, smoked salmon + hummus, cucumber + dill (vegan) cream cheese, banana + honey almond butter, strawberry + pistachio butter. Vibrant smoothie bowls tend to perk up my day so I like opting for bases with red berries, tropical fruits, or spirulina and go to town on toppings like goji berries, all the seeds, granola, cacao nibs, lemon zest, and almond butter. These also give you free rein to add in all sorts of superfoods like maca powder or hidden greens like spinach without fuss. For salads, I'm on the picky side and only settle for dark leafy greens like spinach and arugula with lemon or wine vinaigrettes and mix-ins like avocado, cucumber, tomato, pumpkin seeds, soft boiled eggs, chickpeas, or even roasted veggies. If I'm sticking to savory for the moment, I'll have a bit of fruit on the side like raspberries, mango, or whatever's in season. 

SNACKS

Since I tend to eat breakfast at what's officially dubbed as lunchtime, I don't have the appetite or time for a meal before dinner. My snack could very well be a latte of sorts (matcha, espresso, beet...) if I'm not too hungry or all too busy to stop and munch. If I am feeling peckish, my go-to's are olive oil popcorn, cucumbers/carrots with hummus, cauliflower crackers, and plantain chips. Chewing gum and honey cough drops are also food, I swear.

DINNER

Here's when things become a mixed bag. My ability to meal prep is nonexistent so staring in the abyss of my fridge for 20 minutes is an essential part of dinnertime. I eat a lot of rice so I'll make curries, stir fry, camarones enchilados (Cuban shrimp creole?), potajes (bean stews), Filipino adobo, and all the fried rice. Rice noodles, soba, and lentil/chickpea pastas are another way I take the lazy carb route. Veggies are not an issue for me so I pile on the broccoli, cauliflower, okra, sweet potatoes, zucchini, carrots, kimchi, radishes, asparagus, mushrooms, green beans, peppers, eggplant, etc. A super quick fix for making vegetables tasty is lightly tossing them in olive oil and seasoning with either salt + garlic + smoked paprika or everything but bagel from Trader Joe's before shoving it in the oven at 400F for 15-20mins. Basically, my cardinal rule for dinner is there is never too much garlic and if it's bland I won't eat it. 

DESSERT

My love, my light, my kryptonite. I love it all. Macarons, arroz con leche (rice pudding), red bean buns, black sesame ice cream, pasteis de nata (egg tarts)... I kid you not, my stomach just grumbled as I typed all those. A kitchen devoid of dessert is a pitiful one for me, but I'll happily settle for some fruit and rose or chamomile tea at the end of the day. 


If you'd like to see more about food, my diet, or recipes please let me know in the comments or via Instagram! Be healthy and happy, my chéries. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe